Tennis News Wire -
October 15-21, 2012
Results - Sunday, October 21, 2012
Singles – Final
(3/WC) Caroline Wozniacki (DEN) d. (1) Samantha Stosur (AUS) 62 46 75
Doubles – Final
(1) Makarova/Vesnina (RUS/RUS) d. (2) Kirilenko/Petrova (RUS/RUS) 63 16 108 (Match TB)
- Wozniacki wins her 20th WTA title and second this year, having also won in Seoul a month ago. Moscow is her 13th Premier-level title.
- Wozniacki becomes the fourth active player with at least 20 WTA titles, the others being Serena Williams with 45, Venus Williams with 44 and Maria Sharapova with 27.
- Wozniacki improves to 20-11 in WTA finals.
- Her defeat of Stosur is the third straight match in which Wozniacki lost the second set and went on to win.
- Stosur falls to 3-12 in WTA finals, including 0-2 this year.
- Stosur falls to 3-3 all-time against Wozniacki.
- Stosur secured the first alternate spot at the TEB BNP Paribas WTA Championships – Istanbul 2012 earlier in the week.
- Makarova and Vesnina win their second WTA doubles title as a duo, their first coming at their last event in Beijing.
- Moscow is Makarova’s third WTA doubles title and Vesnina’s eighth.
- Their semifinal win on Saturday over Raquel Kops-Jones and Abigail Spears gave Kirilenko and Petrova the last doubles berth in Istanbul.
Caroline Wozniacki: "I think both of us played very good tennis out there. Sam has been playing well and I knew it wasn't going to be easy, and it could have gone either way at the end, but I think at the right times I played the right shots. There were a lot of key moments, but they just went my way."
Samantha Stosur: "Even though I lost, making a final is still a good achievement. It's disappointing not to walk away with a title this year, having done so the last couple of years, but I made it to two finals and had a lot of other good opportunities, so it's still a good year, and I'll use it to motivate myself in 2013."
Ekaterina Makarova: "It’s really amazing because it’s at home and a long time ago when I was a child, I really wanted to win this tournament, so to win the doubles here is a great feeling."