Tennis News Wire -
October 15-21, 2012
Results Ė Sunday, October 21, 2012
Singles Ė Final
Venus Williams (USA) d. Monica Niculescu (ROU) 62 63
Doubles Ė Final
(1) Hlavackova/Hradecka (CZE/CZE) d. (2) Begu/Niculescu (ROU/ROU) 63 64
- Williams wins her 44th WTA title, just one behind sister Serena for most amongst active players.
- With her most recent title coming in Acapulco in February 2010, this was the longest duration between titles of Williamsí career.
- With her 44th title Williams now has the 11th-most titles in the Open Era.
- Williams improves to 44-27 in WTA finals.
- Niculescu falls to 0-2 in WTA finals, having been runner-up in Luxembourg in 2011 and 2012.
- Niculescu had lost eight of nine matches coming into this week, but did not drop a set until the final.
- Hlavackova and Hradecka win their fourth doubles title of the year and ninth of their partnership.
- Hlavackova now has 12 WTA doubles titles and Hradecka has 15.
Venus Williams: "Coming to the tournament this week I was just trying to play well. I didn't know if I could win this event, so to stand here as the winner is a wonderful way for me to end the year, and it really makes me look forward to next year as well."
"My main goal coming here was to make the Top 32 and be seeded going into the Australian Open. I hope I'm somewhere in the Top 32 now. But wherever I end up, it's just very rewarding to win here after facing a lot of challenges."
Monica Niculescu: "Iím a little bit disappointed to lose both finals, but to make two finals is unbelievable. Tomorrow Iím pretty sure Iím going to wake up relaxed and happy with what I accomplished."
Andrea Hlavackova: "We came here to warm up for Istanbul and the best way to warm up is to win a tournament. Itís a great feeling. Weíve had an amazing season this year - four titles. So Iím very happy to get this one."