© 2013 Daily Tennis News Wire -
January 14-27, 2013
Results - Saturday, January 26, 2013
Singles - Final
(1) Victoria Azarenka (BLR) d. (6) Li Na (CHN) 46 64 63
Doubles - Final (played Friday)
(1) Errani/Vinci (ITA/ITA) d. (WC) Barty/Dellacqua (AUS/AUS) 62 36 62
- Azarenka wins her second Grand Slam title; her first came at last year's Australian Open.
- Azarenka is the eighth player – after Court, Goolagong, Graf, Seles, Hingis, Capriati and Williams – to have defended her Australian Open title.
- Azarenka's win-loss record in Grand Slam finals now stands at 2-1 and 15-11 in WTA finals; 14 of her 15 titles have come on hardcourts.
- Azarenka has now won her last 21 matches in Australia; her last defeat was against Li in the fourth round of the 2011 Australian Open.
- Azarenka becomes the fifth active player to have won multiple Grand Slam singles titles; the others are Kuznetsova (two), Sharapova (four) and Serena (15) and Venus Williams (seven).
- Li falls to 1-2 in Grand Slam finals, and 7-9 in WTA finals.
- Azarenka and Li were meeting for the 10th time; Azarenka now leads the head-to-head record 6-4.
- Azarenka will stay at No.1, while Li will rise to No.5 when the new rankings are released on Monday.
- Errani and Vinci win their third Grand Slam title together; they have now won 14 WTA titles as a team.
- Errani and Vinci, who were runners-up last year, are the first all-Italian team to win the Australian Open.
Victoria Azarenka: "It's been a wonderful two weeks for me. I will always keep a very special memory of this court – it will always be in my heart. And also congratulations to Li Na – it has been a great start of the year for you – best of luck and I hope to see you in many more finals."
Li Na: "First, congratulations to Victoria. Thanks to my team, though two weeks ago I really hated them because they were pushing me a lot! And thanks to all the fans here for supporting me so much. I know I'm not young, but I have to say I'm really looking forward to coming back next year."