© 2013 Daily Tennis News Wire
July 22-July 28, 2013
Results - Sunday, July 28, 2013
Singles - Final
(7) Elina Svitolina (UKR) d. Shahar Peer (ISR) 64 64
Doubles - Final
(2) Buryachok/Kalashnikova (UKR/GEO) d. Daniilidou/Krunic (GRE/SRB) 46 76(3) 104 (Match TB)
- Svitolina wins the first WTA title of her career in her maiden final.
- Svitolina's previous best performance was a semifinal run last week in Bad Gastein.
- Svitolina becomes the first teenager to win a title since Babos triumphed in Monterrey in February, 2012.
- Svitolina and Peer were meeting for the second time; Svitolina now leads the head-to-head record 2-0, having also won earlier this year in Shenzhen.
- Peer falls to 5-4 in WTA finals, and 3-4 in hardcourt finals.
- Buryachok and Kalashnikova win their first WTA doubles title together; Buryachok now has two WTA doubles titles to her name, while Kalashnikova has one.
Svitolina: "Thank you Shahar for a great final. It was a very tough match today and I had a lot of tough matches throughout the week, but I worked really hard coming into the tournament, and it turned out well for me. Thanks to everyone and I'll see you all next year."
Peer: "I'd like to congratulate you Elina – you played great. I was really happy to be in the final and in this position to win a title, and although I didn't win today, this tournament was great and I had a great time in Baku. Thanks to everyone for everything, and I hope to be back here next year."