Auckland, New Zealand
2013 - January 4, 2014
Results - Saturday, January 4, 2014
Singles - Final
(2) Ana Ivanovic (SRB) d. Venus Williams (USA) 62 57 64
Doubles - Final
Fichman/Sanchez (CAN/USA) d. (3) Hradecka/Krajicek
(CZE/NED) 26 60 104 (Match TB)
Ivanovic wins the 12th title of her career and first
since Bali in 2011.
- Ivanovic's win-loss record in finals now stands at
12-5, and 10-3 in hardcourt finals.
- Ivanovic did not drop a set en route to the final and
held a match point at 5-3 in the second set against
- Ivanovic reduces her head-to-head deficit against
Williams to 8-2; her only other victory came almost six
years ago, in the quarterfinals of the Australian Open.
- Williams falls to 44-28 in WTA finals.
- Ivanovic and Williams are projected to rise to No.14
and No.38 respectively in the new rankings.
- Fichman and Sanchez win their first WTA title
together; it was also the first WTA title in either
singles or doubles for both players.
"It's amazing. Coming into this week I didn't really
have any expectations. I didn't even think about making
the finals or winning it. I just tried my best, and I
felt very comfortable here. Today was a great match.
Venus is always very tough – she's a great champion and
showed that again today. I'm just happy that after
losing that second set I managed to stay calm and close
"Today for me it was all about fighting, because I
didn't feel I was playing my best. I fought as hard as I
could no matter what the score was, but I just ran into
a better player today."