Roger Federer officially tendered his
resignation as long-serving president of the ATP World Tour Players
Council at the special Wimbledon meeting on Friday evening but there
will continue to be a Swiss presence on the highly influential body that
has forced massive increases in prize money for lower ranked players who
tend to lose in the early rounds of Grand Slam events.
Australian Open champion Stan Wawrinka will
follow his close friend Federer onto the council but Frenchman Gilles
Simon is favorite to succeed as the new president when elections take
place at the New York meeting prior to the US Open in a couple of
After serving as president since 2008, Federer
feels the time is right for a change and with two sets of twins, he
feels the time he can dedicate to the Players Council is now limited.
But he said: “I thoroughly enjoyed it. The last six years have been a
lot of fun, although it's been tough at times with the debates, the
talks, the meetings and everything that surrounds it.
“Overall I think we've done quite well. I think
I'm proud that I was able to lead by example. I have a very busy
life, probably one of the busiest lives of a tennis player, with the
family, media, sponsors, you name it, and I still found time to do the
Federer has clearly enjoyed the cut and thrust
of the political side of the job and had a major influence in the
appointment of three new ATP executive chairmen; Adam Helfant, the late
Brad Drewett and current incumbent Chris Kermode.
“Clearly we made big strides in prize money over
the last sort of six years,” he said. “I think we were able to
calm things down a little bit, because things were quite hectic when I
came onto the council. The board had to go.
“Ever since then, I think we've had the same
board for six straight years. The stability has been very
important for the tournaments, for the players, for the council, for the
board. It's just been nicer to work this way.”
But Federer admitted his schedule has become
tighter in recent months. “I feel my time is a good time to go now,” he
said. “Because I feel if I can't put in 100% effort every single
time when I go to the meetings. Then if I start missing meetings, that's
not the way I'll do it.
“So I think it's a good time for someone else to
lead, for someone else who is super excited to step in and do it now.
I actually saw there were a lot of people that wanted to do it, which is
“Anyway, I'll be around. If they need my
opinions or help in any way, I'm still there. But I think it's a
good time to move on for me for now.”
The council is now as follows;
(Singles 1-50) Kevin Anderson, John Isner,
Gilles Simon, Stanislas Wawrinka
(Singles 51-100) Jurgen Melzer, Sergiy Stakhovsky
(Doubles) Raven Klaasen, Bruno Soares
(At large) Eric Butorac, Andre Sa
(Alumni) Yves Allegro
(Coach) Claudio Pistolesi
Copyright © 2014 Daily Tennis News Wire. All rights
a style="text-decoration: underline" href="http://www.dailytennis.com">www.dailytennis.com